Thursday, August 22, 2013

Cavendish's leaf #11 is unfurling. The fourth leaf since we have had him.

   Cavendish's leaf  #11 is unfurling. The fourth leaf since we have had him. A couple of his young leaves that are not in these pictures are almost ready to be removed, however they still have some life and I am not ready to remove them as a nutritional source yet. Of course Caven's 11th leaf  tassel roll is ready to take its turn next.

   Cavendish stalk is 7 1/4" tall now to top of stalk where last leaf starts, with a circumference of 4" at the base.

   On the 16th I fed Caven with both 1 TBSP each of "roots organic by aurora" 1 TBSP 6-0.5-1.5 greening and 1 TBSP 3-6-4 blooming fertilizer. I used both to give caven more of a balance that he likes. I plan to get some more appropriate fertilizer so I do not have to mix to get a least somewhat closer to what he needs. Here are the instructions from Logee's Tropical plants where caven came from:

   FERTILIZER: They are heavy feeders, use 1/2 tsp of fertilizer per gallon of water every week and more, under full sun conditions which will expedite its growth. Under low light and cool temperatures, reduce the frequency. When active growth stops in winter, discontinue feeding. Use a balanced fertilizer like a 15-15-15 or a blooming fertilizer like 7-9-5.

   So I have been under feeding him for the greening stage and should get better growth if I go pick some food up for him. Then I need to decide if this is good enough or whether I should also get Caven some blooming stage fertilizer to help the blooming stage.

   I have been very busy rebuilding our pump house and house sitting so I have not got around to re-potting Cavendish in his mobile home I've already made that is waiting for him.

8/21/2013

8/22/2013 11:30 AM
8/22/2013 3:20 PM Unfurled more in under 4 hours
After meeting - 8/22/2013 10:00 PM - Some curl left

8/23/2013 8:30 AM - A slight curl left
8/23/2013 8:30 AM - A slight curl left - leaf 12 tassel inside
Spreadsheet records logbook with Links and Banana Plant Terms

No comments:

Post a Comment