Sunday, January 12, 2014

First 2014 update

    Leafs are now getting smaller. I do not know if it is a lighting or issue or it needs more feeding.  It was suggested on banana.org that I reduce the on time to 14 hrs so I have.  I have been bottom watering so as not to encourage soil gnats. But I add my organic plant food from the top so the only time it gets washed into the soil is when I add the food.  I believe I will start to topwater Caven to wash the nutrients into the soil better.  If this improves growth then great, but if the soil gnats show up in mass I will consider some water soluble plant food so I can return to bottom watering and still get the plant fed.

    While I am no longer counting the leafs, the current newest leaf is only 13.5" x 5.5". 

   Caven is currently 16 " from soil to top of pstem and 27" from soil to top leaf height.  Its circumference is 12" so my pstem diameter is at 13.82". 

   The 5 Pups are still there as I want each to be big enough to stick in a 4" pot when I remove and pot them. Some will be gifts, and I am giving thought to starting an outside plant under a PVC hoop hot house and seeing what success I have with a year round outside plant.


Mortgage lifter tomato vine on left. That one leaf on Caven is about ready to be removed.
5 Pups in various progress. The smallest is barely peeking and largest has a 3" pstem.
Plant Information: Super Dwarf Cavendish
Walk in closet: 7' x 4' 6"
Lighting: 4 ft. 6 tube - T-5 6400k High output fluorescent
Light hours: 14 On - 10 Off
Fertilizer: Dr. Earth 6-4-6 tropical
Soil: Normal potting soil (not ideal for drainage for this plant)
Pest control: Insecticidal soap, Diatomaceous earth   
Pot: Approx. 16.32 gallons - 20"Width - 12" High

No comments:

Post a Comment